Literary Magazine State Awards
North Carolina Scholastic Media Association
Overall Magazine Awards
• Tar Heel Award
• Fifteenth year in a row
• All-North Carolina
Section Awards for Overall Magazine—State Rankings
• Poetry 1st place
• Design and Layout 1st place
• Fiction 2nd place
• Nonfiction 2nd place
• Art 2nd place
• Cover 2nd place
• Theme Development 3rd place
Individual Awards for Work in Magazine* (State Winners)
• Abigail Welch Nonfiction Layout 1st place
• Natalie Thulien and Cayleigh Brown Nonfiction Layout 3rd place
• Ella Rasmussen and Caroline Palermo Nonfiction Layout Honorable Mention
• Charlotte Beck and Aiden Kaplan Nonfiction Layout Honorable Mention
• Natalie Thulien Poetry Layout 2nd place
• Bhavana Veeravalli and Maggie Christopher Poetry Layout Honorable Mention
• Abigail Welch Fiction Layout 3rd place
• Ellie Rasmussen Feature 1st place
• Gayatri Chopra Feature 2nd place
• Vasiliki Gkoulgkountina Poetry 1st place
• Natalie Thulien Poetry 3rd place
• Ella Rasmussen Poetry Honorable Mention
• Emma Washburn Fiction 3rd place
• Charlotte Beck Review 1st place
• Ethan Haight Personal Essay 2nd place
• Polina Sladkova Individual Art Honorable Mention
• Daniella Ivanova Individual Art Honorable Mention
• Betsy Molina Photography Honorable Mention
• Lisa Zhang Photography Honorable Mention
The following students won awards for work completed June 17-20 in Chapel Hill at the NC Scholastic Media Association Summer Institute.
• Maggie Christopher
• Celie Waddington
• Ella Rasmussen
• Bhavana Veeravalli
Abigail Welch was elected President of the NC Scholastic Media Student Association.
All PHS students are encouraged to submit art and photography.
All PHS students are encouraged to submit writing.
Pre-order a copy of the 2021 edition of Roars and Whispers below. Publication package includes literary magazine and personalized yearbook. Search Providence High and click on YB.
If you would like to become a patron and support the arts community at Providence, please complete the form and return with payment to PHS. Additional information available in letter. You can also donate online at bit.ly/phspatrons.
Roars and Whispers is the poetic voice of Providence High School.Whether through the strength of our roars or the softness of our whispers, we will be heard.